Download IBPS : Clerk Exam Paper Held On 4.12.2011 – English Language
Institute of Banking Personnel Selection Common Written Examination (CWE) Recruitment in Clerical Cadre
Exam Paper of IBPS Clerical Cadre Held On 4.12.2011
Test 2 (English Language)
1-10. Read the following passage to answer the given question based on it. Some words/phrases are printed to bold to help you locate them white answering some of the questions.
A Russian Proverb advises us not to buy a house, but the neighborhood. While till some years ago it was impossible to dictate who lived with you in the same quarters, today when you think of buying a home, you could actually create you won dream neighbourhood-thanks to the internet and the group buying model.
The group buying model has been applied in different industries, from cars to baby merchandise to pet care product. Now, the trend is catching on in the real estate sector, with many sites as well as broking firms offering group deals on real estate projects in India. The way it works is simple. Take xxx.com for example. This is an online and offline integrated platform which showcases property. It uses social medial networks to let buyers known about possible good deals and leaving it to them to do some viral marketing. Once a large group of buyers is thus formed, xxx.com introduces it to the developer and helps negotiate a suitable discount. Since, the developer doesn’t have to pay for the marketing. It is willing enough to pay these companies a transaction fee which is a percentage of the total value of the deal. For the buyers, if offers the best rates at no fee, thus marketing it the win-win proposition for all involved. The developers also benefit by getting substantial cash flow, given them a good amount of working capital. “In today’s real estate scenario, bulk buying could be the answer to the market slump and the long awaited cash flow,” says the Founder of xxx.com.
Sometimes, the discount size is not to be sneered at. Discounts on group buying vary from 5-30 per cent, the average divergence from market rate being 25-30 per cent. Customer ‘buy-in’ is the model. But is it a temporary fad? In a way, the online group buying set-up is similar to the model developers share with speculators,who buy in bulk even before the project gets kick-started and get discounts of 30-40 per cent. The pay 50 per cent of the property value upfront. Group buying companies prove more beneficial for developers as they get away providing lesser discounts than to speculators. Some sound a note of caution on the trend. Present conditions are conducive for this business model as group buying works well in a situation where stocks are moving slowly, markets are jittery and there is ample supply. It may not work in a seller’s market.
Another caution is — Very often the builders do not offer the best inventory to the group in terms of location and utility. The buyers have to use their astute judgment to avoid such traps.
1. The discount size on group buying, compared to usual discount to speculators is usually
(5) much higher
2. Which of the following may be the passage?
(1) To reveal fewer discounts being offered by the developers
(2) To highlight the problems of housing industry
(3) To highlight the importance of neighborhood in one’s life
(4) To provide information on group buying trends of property
(5) To inform the buyers about ample supply of property
3. Group buying of real estate is done
(1) mainly offline
(2) only offline
(3) only through brokers
(4) either-on-line or offline
(5) in a secret manner only
4. xxx.com are the
(3) Loan providers
(5) None of these
55. The group buying model certainly did not start with
(2) real estate
(3) pet care products
(4) baby products
6. Which of the following best describes the meaning of the Russian proverb being quoted?
(1) It is better to rent a house than to buy it
(2) Don’t buy a single flat, buy multiple flats
(3) Fools build houses,wise-people live in them
(4) Buy house after negotiating the deal
(5) None of these
7. Which of the following is one of the questions posed in the passage?
(1) Is group-buying model a temporary fad?
(2) Is the builder offering you the best inventory?
(3) Should we buy a house or the neighborhood?
(4) Are present market conditions conductive for the business?
(5) Speculators vs Groups Buyers?
8. Which of the following is true in the context of the passage?
(1) The buyers, though have to pay higher feed and price, get their dream neighborhood
(2) TheCustomer ‘buy-in’model is not dependant on market conditions
(3) Group buying companies don’t with the same objective as that of speculators
(4) The builders/developers offer the best available property to the group buyers
(5) The Speculators generally pay 30-40 per cent of the property value upfront even before the project gets started
9. In which of the following situations, Customer ‘buy-in’ model may not work?
(1) Buyer’s market
(2) When markets are booming with ample supply
(3) When there is short supply
(4) When house is comparatively cheap
(5) It is a mode for all seasons
10. Which of the following is not true in the context of the passage?
(1) The Speculators also buy in bulk
(2) Social media network is used for marketing group buying
(3) The group buying companies take a transaction fee from both Buyers as well as Developers
(4) The Speculators get a better deal in terms of discounts as compared to that of other Group buying companies
(5) The percent conditions, as given in the passage, are not so good for Developers of real estate